Sunday 8 February 2015

Quick lunch break bagel @ Bagel Works


So the place is called Bagel Works, but quite honestly their bagels don't.

This little place was buzzing on a Friday afternoon, and I had to wait quite a while to order and again to get my bagel. 

I went with a classic poppyseed bagel with cream cheese. A simple combination that is hard to screw up. Only thing was, Bagel Works managed to do it, and it was mostly down to their inputs.

The key to a good bagel place is good bagels, and Bagel Works doesn't have them. My bagel had the texture and consistency of a pana de casa, heavy, bready and dry. It was also sweet, like European cake sweet, not sickly but very strange. 5&Dime and Glicks bagels are not perfect, but they are bagels. Bagel Works has round bread rolls with holes in the centre that taste like cake. 

The cream cheese was also quite odd, more sweet than sour - where did they even buy it? I'd like to know for the next carrot cake I bake.

On the plus side (and their were some strong pluses) service was great (the staff were super friendly and efficient even despite the lunch rush), and I was offered a sample of delicious looking smoothie as I waited in line. The location is also good, close to the legal heart of the city.

However, I can't go so far as recommending it. Sorry Bagel Works - change your bagel supplier and win a new fan!

Bagelworks on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment