Monday 23 February 2015

Photo of the week: chicken and waffles @ Mr Big Stuff


I'd heard good things about Mr Big Stuff from friends and colleagues so I decided to duck in for a quick dinner on my way home from work with a friend. On a Tuesday night it was relatively easy to get a table for two, but the warm, funky ambiance still made the place seem lively.

I ordered the Fried Chicken on Waffles (a generous serving of delicious, cajun spiced, fried chicken, on beautiful light fluffy waffles with a pot of spiced maple syrup to go with it) and really enjoyed myself. The chicken was super crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside and had a really nice kick to it. The waffle was cloud like and wonderful, a perfect recreation of the 'American' style waffles that tend to be lighter and fluffier than the ones we get here. Of special note though was the spiced maple syrup - it was the real deal and delicious, a perfect accompaniment to the dish. These days, too many places give you 'maple flavored syrup' a cheaper alternative that ought to remain where it started, with your hotcakes at McDonald's. I get that genuine maple syrup is expensive, but if you don't want to spring for it, or on-charge it to your customers, leave it off the menu! Props to Mr Big Stuff for getting something so awesome so right.

I would be back for the place, however, it is a bit overpriced for what it is and no matter how delicious the Mr. Big Stuff fried chicken waffles are, I think Bowery to Williamsburg (review to come) does it better.

Mr Big Stuff on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment