Thursday 26 February 2015

#throwbackthursday review: Swan Street Social, Richmond


Let's get it out of the way: both M and I are big fans of Noir and Swan St Social. In my opinion, along with perhaps Movida, they do the best beef tartares in Melbourne. Their are super flavoursome and the meat is fresh but has a well developed flavour. I also love the little Their waldorf salad is also really delicious. I must admit, the first time I had this at Noir was actually the first time in my life I'd ever tried a waldorf. It's sort of one of those dishes which was enormously popular back in the day but you really don't see much of anymore. However, if other waldorfs are as good as the one at Noir/Swan St Social, then I'm definitely a convert.


The last time we went to SSS, the tartare and waldorf were served as one dish, and they certainly make for an excellent starter. We also got some jamon iberico to start, which was delicious (when is iberico ever not?) but not hand cut. It was however, noticeably better than the more expensive supposedly 36 month old iberico we had at Portello Rosso only a few nights before. M had a fish dish in a spicy tomato based sauce with potatos and some plump mussels. While his dish was tasty, I much preferred mine of a fat piece of pork belly on a celeriac remoulade and some grated apple. Delicious. The pork was really well flavoured and rendered and the balance of flavours was just right. The side dish we got, cauliflower au gratin was really nice but nothing terribly special.


However, overall the food was really great at a very very reasonable price. Unfortunately, though, I don't believe SSS serve full meals any longer but only 'bar snacks'. However, if you want a really great dinner/lunch head downstairs to the sister restaurant Noir (review to come).

Swan Street Social on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment