Monday 9 March 2015

Coffee and dessert @ Dex2Rose Nitrogen Gelato


So Nitrogen Gelato is the new cupcake store, it's clearly a fad, 90% of the places won't last the distance, but there are the occasional points of interest that make you see why it became a trend in the first place.

I think Dex2Rose is one of those places. I really liked it and I think it may have what it takes to make it, provided they can attract customers to their slightly oddball location.

I was first introduced to the brand when an earnest young man shoved a sampler pot of Walnut-Maple-Vanilla into my hand as I was walking back from the Australian Open. Some weeks later, out with my friend D, I needed a late night hit of coffee and sugar and the memory of Dex2Rose surfaced in my mind.


I had the 'Lazy Dinner' (sage, burnt butter and vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce) and D had the Pink Flamingo (moscato and peach gelato with coconut cream). We also both ordered one of their iced filter coffees.

The Lazy Dinner was AMAZING. It is the nicest ice-cream that I have had anywhere in Australia for a very long time. The sweet/savoury combination of the sage, burnt butter, rich vanilla and the bittersweet caramel was just perfect. The staff told me the owner comes up with all of the flavors, and so a massive shout out to someone who has a great talent for creating taste sensations.


D said that the gelato component of the Pink Flamingo was amazing, but that the coconut cream worked against it. He was still however very impressed and wolfed his down.

We both loved our coffees. They came in this amazing little brown glass bottle and the flavour was perfect. Not a hint of bitterness (which is so so rare for iced filter coffee) and just the perfect beans for the job (light and tangy, but not too acidic).

Seriously, take the time to duck down the side alley off Little Bourke where Dex2Rose have their HQ, you will not be disappointed.

Dex2rose Nitrogen Gelato on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment