Sunday 8 March 2015

Coffee and Dessert @ DOC Espresso, Lygon Street


Lygon Street is basically a theme park. It thrives off the fact that large numbers of people perceive it to be an accurate simulacrum of some dining district in Rome and that somehow, because of that, it is a classy place to go. So they dress up in their Armarni Exchange jeans, put on their best fake Gucci glasses and arrive to have overpriced rubbish at Brunetti, listen to idiots rev out their mid-90's Ferraris and bask in their own 'culture'. I was as guilty of this as anyone until R pointed out to me that the whole place was more Eastern European sleaze than it was high renaissance glory, and that the pushy touts out the front of every restaurant are about as authentically Italian as a McCafe Cappuccino. I have now repented.

However, there is a glimmer of the real Italy in the Lygon wasteland - DOC.

Both of the DOC outlets, the Pizzeria and Mozzarella bar and DOC espresso make excellent food with great Italian service.

I went with my friend J to Doc Espresso for a late night coffee and sweet treat. We were not disappointed.

I had a long black with a Nutella Pannacotta and J had a latte with a Goats Cheese Tiramisu.

My coffee was excellent, from the roast to the expression to the funky little cup and saucer set up. I really enjoyed it and it was the perfect nightime pick-me-up. J really liked his latte and the pattern in the foam had all the continental flair you might expect.


My Pannacotta was smooth and richly flavoured. You could taste the rich choc-hazelnut of the Nutella as well as the quality of the other ingredients. The crunch of toasted pine nuts sprinkled on top was also a nice touch.


J's Tiramisu was interesting and I am keen to try a full one. The single mouthful I had was rich and tangy, with a deep choc-coffee flavour permeating the delicate sponge at its heart. I'm not sure that I'd go for making a Tiramisu with Goat's Cheese myself, but it was an interesting deviation from the norm.

If you find yourself, by some strange misfortune, on Lygon Street in the near future, do yourself a favour and head to one of the DOCs, you won't be disappointed.

D.O.C. Espresso on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment