Wednesday 4 March 2015

Lunch @ The Cupping Room, Canberra


A couple of colleagues and I came here for as a pseudo farewell to me since I was leaving the team for another, but mostly it was just an elaborate excuse to eat out for lunch.

I chose TCR as the venue after some pretty glowing recommendations from friends and colleagues. Initially when we were requesting a table at the packed venue, the service was a little dismissive and abrupt. However, as our time there wore on, the service definitely improved and they were perfectly lovely and attentive in the end.


Being a glutton, I went for the steak sandwich because I felt like something substantial and couldn't go past 'comes with fries' (I know, I know). The thing arrived presented in a pretty typical fashion for these sorts of places: on a wooden board. What caught my eye immediately though was the little dish of sauce which came with it. Although red, it was definitely not ketchup and upon tasting it, it was a thousand times better. It was slightly peppery and subtly garlicky with a definitely overtone of cumin. I want to say it was a nice romesco?

The sandwich itself was pretty good--the quality of the bread definitely helped its cause. It was a sourdough which I don't always enjoy in sandwiches but this one was lovely and supple instead of the sometimes dry and tough sourdough you get in sandwiches. The steak could have been better--it definitely needed more charriness and I personally could have done with a bit more flavour in the meat and a cheese other than the cheddar used.


I also got one of their salted caramel popcorn 'King Shakes' which at first was absolutely delicious but towards the end was getting very sickly and sweet. Thank god I only got the half portion, they were kind enough to split one shake into two glasses for me and one my colleagues.

Overall I was pretty satisfied and given how much I've disliked 90% of the brunch places I've been to, this is one of the better ones. I've also heard that TCR do an excellent coffee but alas, I rarely touch the stuff.

The Cupping Room on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment