Sunday 5 April 2015

Quick dinner @ Hakata Gensuke


So like any good salaryman I enjoy a quick bowl of ramen on my way back from work. So one night recently I decided to join the line of eager people waiting for a seat at Hakata Gensuke the "Ramen Professional"'s first outlet in Melbourne.

This place has been incredibly hyped and though it did me a nice enough bowl of noodles I don't think I'll be rushing back.

I got the black Sesame soup base along with charsiew and egg.

I was pleased when ordering that I could customise almost every aspect of my dish from how long I wanted my noodles cooked to the specific combination of garnishes on top. However I was less happy about the fact that almost each aspect of the dish excluding the soup, noodles and spring onion was an optional extra that came with an additional cost. The base bowl was like $11 as eaten it was $15 and had I wanted a more complete bowl it may have pushed over $20.

$20, for a ramen? That's definitely on the steep end of the ramen price spectrum. And it wasn't even very good. Like at best it was ok. I much preferred Mugen and obviously DonToo is my gold standard.

In short, I wouldn't recommend it. I have no problem with paying for quality, but when you charge through the nose you need to deliver and Hakata Gensuke really didn't.

Hakata Gensuke on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment