Wednesday 24 December 2014

Gelateria Primavera , Spring St Grocer, Melbourne

Medium gelato: $7.20 for three flavours

I'll start this post with a caveat: I'm not a fan of gelato. I can totally understand why others dig it but for me it just doesn't measure up to proper ice cream. The reason is the very nature of gelato itself—the milk fat content necessitates a higher amount of sugar to avoid gelato crystalising—usually rendering it a watery, sickly sweet, albeit very smooth, mess to my palette. While I appreciate that this often brings out the flavour of the ingredients, it just doesn't do it for me personally. I prefer my ice cream super creamy, and not very sweet. I think gelato definitely suits being made in the traditional Italian way, where the flavours are mostly fruity and 'sorbet' like. For example, the strawberry gelato I had in Florence was delicious. 

Anyway, there is nothing really wrong with the gelato at Gelateria Primavera (admittedly a clever and catchy name) at Spring St Grocer. From most accounts, they do a fine gelato. I had been here before and had the gelato but couldn't remember whether I liked it. This probably pointed to a 'no' being the likely answer as I so seldom find a gelato I like that  I remember it when I do. But alas, since we stopped here I wanted to give it another go. We got a medium with three flavours: fior di latte, pistachio and salted caramel. I had one taste of the salted caramel and left the rest to M. The fior di latte and pistachio, however, were really well flavoured. I particularly enjoyed the honey undertones to the pistachio. However, after the first spoonful the sickly sugariness hit me and I remembered why gelato and I are a terrible couple.

 Cuban sandwich $11

Our friend wanted something a bit more substantial so opted for the Cuban sandwich upon M's (who works nearby) recommendation.

The Cuban Sandwich from the Spring Street Grocer is M's pick for one of Melbourne's Best (and best value) Sandwiches. Swiss Cheese, pickled peppers, generous helpings of moist pulled pork, slathered in good mustard and doused in spicy hot sauce. The flavours are perfectly balanced and the quality of the ingredients is exceptional (as would be expected from the Grocer). Rich and indulgent, the Cuban is the perfect lunch on the run when you're in this end of town.

Gelateria Primavera on UrbanspoonSpring St Grocer on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment