Monday 15 December 2014

Photo of the week: hot pot @ Home Taste, Edinburgh


Our visit to Home Taste holds so many great memories for me. We found it after wandering the streets of Old Town looking for a feed since I didn't want to go for a pub meal. After circling a few times and finding nothing else that took our fancy, we settled on a little Chinese restaurant with steamed up windows. The steam was actually very inviting on that night since it was a typically frigid Scottish January evening. The restaurant's awkwardly endearing name may have also helped win me over.

Once in there I was instantly glad of my choice because it turned out (as hinted by the steam) that they served...HOTPOT!!! One of my favourite things in the world and certainly a top candidate for my death row meal. Another pleasing sight was that the restaurant was filled with Chinese students who were clearly craving a bit of 'home taste'. And the meal itself was fantastic: the condiments, the broth and the ingredients used were what they should be for a good hotpot; and they didn't scrimp when topping up the ingredients. The chef also adorably came out and offered us some fried dumplings while tentatively speaking Mandarin to me. At £15 per person for all you can eat including a drink (we chose hot tea) it was a bargain, especially given the favourable exchange rate at the time. As cheesy as it sounds, the restaurant definitely lived up to its name, serving up a warm taste of home on the other side of the world.

Home Taste on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds great! Let's have hot pot again sometime soon, you've revived my craving!

    ReplyDelete