Thursday 25 December 2014

#throwbackthursday reviews: Pho @ Phu Pho, Perth & The Pho Chu, Melbourne


Phu Pho
I was back in Perth for a few weeks after returning from the UK and China. I hadn't seen my old friend Dr ST in yonks and as per our uni days, we found a time to meet up over food. We had wanted to go to another Vietnamese place along the strip in East Vic Park but it was closed that night. So instead we went down the street to Phu Pho. While it's not something I would normally order, for entree we've decided to share a salt pepper squid. I normally prefer this made the traditional way with the squid tentacles but this was still tasty—very tender and flavoursome.

Unfortunately, though, the pho was pretty disappointing. The soup wasn't very aromatic, the beef wasn't wafer thin and raw as it hit the table and the noodles, perhaps the most disappointing element for me, were rehydrated dried noodles rather than the much tastier, chewier fresh noodles.


The Pho Chu
This visit to the Pho Chu was the start of my quasi tradition of post-flight pho dinners. On this occasion, my friend P picked me up and to thank him, I took him to Victoria St, Richmond for some hot noodle action. The Pho Chu is definitely one of the most popular restaurants in the Vic St precinct and on the night we went it was packed. I was feeling greedy so I got a large bowl ($10) and we decided to share some rice paper rolls ($8?). I didn't even get to really touch the rice paper rolls because I was struggling enough with my bowl of pho. While, as with all bowls of pho, it was tasty and satisfying, it definitely isn't the best you can get in Melbourne. The broth was very mellow and underwhelming while the noodles were definitely too soft for my liking. The decor and service is however amongst the best of the pho restaurants along Victoria Street.

Phu Pho on UrbanspoonPho Chu The on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment