Monday 3 August 2015

Anytime Ramen @ Menya Sandaime

One word. Amazing.


I've seen Ramen, Ramen you people wouldn't believe. Tastebuds on fire near some Anime figures. Chopsticks glitter in the dark near the Gyoza plates. 

All these noodles... available... at any time of the day or night.

That's right Melbourne, the Bladerunner-esque nightlife of never-sleeping, neon-lit, Tokyo has reached us in the form of Menya Sandaime. This 24/7 Ramen shop is part of an international chain dedicated to recreating the feel of Tokyo's back alley Ramen bars. Having been to some of those, the vibe certainly matched, and so, might I say, did the Ramen.

William Gibson eat your heart out...


I got the spicy Tonkatsu Ramen (very intense tonkatsu-miso broth, marinated egg, bok choy, spring onion, ramen noodles and thick cut belly pork) with an accidental - but very much appreciated - doubling of my belly pork and egg. I was not disappointed.

I'll start with the soup - amazing. The flavour (and the heat) was intense, but perfectly balanced. I'm not sure how it ranks on the tradition scale - compared to say Hakata Gensuke - however it was just about the best I have had in Melbourne. 

The noodles with it were also great, the right mix of chew and texture, and nicely cooked.The egg and vegies were fine - I could have gone with a little more flavour in the egg, but nothing at all to complain about.

The start of the show, however, was the pork. It was just fantastic. Finely flavored, perfectly rendered, and then grilled to give it an amazing, tacky, caramalised coating. It was the best belly pork I have had in a bowl of Ramen since the good old days when Don Too used the proper stuff.

I cant wait for my next trip, I highly highly recommend you grab a bowl of fabulous Ramen at Menya Sandaime. 


Click to add a blog post for Menya Sandaime on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment